Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Is a Canadian spell checker a spell chequer?

There are a lot of extra U's, and unexpected double consonants ("jewellery," for crying out loud) in Canadian English. And then, the really odd spelling of seemingly familiar things. I wonder if a Canadian spell checker is a spell chequer? It takes some getting used to.

Many emails, both business and personal, go to Canadians. But I also correspond with friends and family who are Americans, and I want to use American English. I like Thunderbird for my email for lots of reasons. One of them is that I can check my spelling in either Canadian or American English, and it's easy to do. I just have to select "English/Canada" or "English/United States."

But today, I was confused. I was replying to an email from a Canadian about a party scheduled at the home of an American here in town. But the American started the thread. So which way to go on the spell check?

Spell Chequer

I decided to go with both: "neighbo(u)rhood" and both spell checkers choked on it. Maybe I'll add it to both dictionaries!

4 comments:

MCFRANKi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MCFRANKi said...

Hmmm... I've never understood American English... It appears you use a lot of Z and simplify words all over the place!! Why is it that the vast majority of English speaking countries use the same spelling and conventions but America has to be different?

Cheers
MCFRANKi
New Zealand!

catester said...

Hi MCFRNAKi - Thanks for the comment. You said:


Hmmm... I've never understood American English... It appears you use a lot of Z and simplify words all over the place!! Why is it that the vast majority of English speaking countries use the same spelling and conventions but America has to be different?


Good question! I suppose we have to be different because we're Americans, and we have to be different! The Simplified Spelling Society has been at it since the early 1900's. I don't know if there was a political agenda, or if they just wanted to simplify things.

And you do know those are "Zee's" and not "Zed's" don't you?

Meg said...

I think the 'cheque' and 'check' keeps things much more simplified! I have to check if my cheque cleared (tsk, tsk, you have an American spell checker on here!).

LOL - love your blog, typically Canadian that I am I really enjoy reading about my (our?) country!

Happy Holidays!
Megan